Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Seattle July 18, 2006

No rest for the wicked. The sun is coming up over Seatle, Today, or rather, yesteraday into today, has been a whirlwind of a whirlwind. A postcard morning in Seatlle began with a lovely breakfast at the home of my second-cousin and host, psychologist Lane Gerber, looking over the water and discussing the intersections of art and technology (my passion) in relation to life in general. Then I met briefly with artist and “genius award” winner Susan Robb, who leaves tomorrow to visit Walter De Maria’s renowned earthwork, the “Lightning Fields” in New Mexico. Next, I met up with Eric (as in Hilton, co-founder with Rob Garza of Thievery Corporation [TC]) and his beautiful and charming partner Tien to see the very impressive Maya Linn exhibition, “Systematic Landscapes” at the Henry Art Gallery at University of Washington, then take them on a tour of the spectacular Seattle Public Library, designed by Rem Koolhaas and including installations by artists including George Legrady, Tony Oursler, and Ann Hamilton – note to SPL: fix the Gary Hill video projection!!!

After the soundcheck, I had the privilege to join Eric and Rob for their interview with DJ Derek Mazzone at KEXP 90.3 FM A highligtht of the interview was when Derek asked the master thieves about the secret ito their ongoing success, compared to other groups that began around the same time but have disintegrated. Their answer: 1) they didn’t become drug-addicts; 2) they’re reasonable people and didn’t become egomaniacs; 3) they keep doing what they love, as they did from the beginning when they had no expectations that people would even like their music. I have much respect for these brilliant artists who remain humble and unaffected by international success.

Show time. The Moore Theater, a beautiful old theater downtown, is sold out. At about 8:45, the audience is getting restless and starts chanting for the band to come out. Eric and Rob go to the electronics rack and start hashing out the prelude to Outernationalist, which gets the crowd excited. I’d been warned by locals that the Seattle crowd is so laid back they’ll just sit in their seats for the whole show. But by the third song, everyone was on their feet and people had started filling up the aisles. The show built up energy as a series of female lead vocalists enchanted the audience: first Lou Lou on Le Monde and Onid, then Alana on Lebanese Blonde, back to Lulu on Shadows, then Karina on So Com Voce and Sol Tapado. The show took off on another level when 2, Roots, and Sleepy belted out Liberation; Sleepy kept it pumping with Originality, and 2 and Roots on .38.45. At this point, everyone in the theater is dancing and waving their arms, including the bandmembers backstage. I alternate between dancing and shooting pictures and video backstage and in the audience, which is totally rocking now, so I’m also carried away by the music and no longer keeping track of particulars… other than noting that at some point, a bevy of young women in the audience are being invited to come on the stage and dance with the band and one takes the initiative to light a bowl of herb – the spliff odyssey continues! This is the most fun I’ve had in a long time, a sentiment I think was shared by many. By the end of the show, my 2GB card is full, my shirt is sweaty, and like everyone else at the Moore, I’ve got a huge smile on my face. Please be patient while I sort through and edit the pix/video and post it! I know, you all want details of the after-part but there is honor among thieves… besides, it’s time to pack up and go to Portland and Rob, Eric and Tien are depending on me to drive them there, since the %^&@^%# bus company pulled a fast one (no honor with those thieves – I’ll post their name when I get it) and Dave, the tour manager, has had to scramble to find alternate transport for the band, crew, and equipment…

Thanks to my cousins Lane and Joanne Gerber, who hosted me in Seattle and to the Grateful Bread coffeshop, whose free wireless connection enabled this post.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish I could have been there Eddie. Sounds incredible!

saludos hermano~

7/20/2006 12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anyone know if TC will ever play the Denver/Boulder, CO area?

7/26/2006 6:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I missed the show by a day ( I was away) Please please please bring them back to Sea-town. We love them here!

9/05/2007 12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home